Bioinformatics Engineer, Translational Genetics
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Description: Empirico, an early-stage biotechnology company, is looking for a talented bioinformatics engineer with data science skills who is interested in analyzing large scale human genetics data for the purpose of therapeutic target discovery.
Your responsibilities will primarily consist of performing analyses and building robust computational pipelines and tools critical to Empirico’s drug discovery efforts. You will be expected to:
- Collaborate closely with a multidisciplinary team consisting of human geneticists, bioinformatics scientists and software engineers, using your computational skills to gain insights from massive genetic datasets
- Design, develop and deploy robust data analysis pipelines and software tools to support target discovery
- Help implement cutting-edge bioinformatics methods and algorithms (such as those described in the literature) to advance Empirico’s discovery initiatives
- Integrate and analyze large, complex data sets to extract information useful to our target discovery platforms
- Perform focused genetic analyses to gain insights into novel target biology and clearly communicate these analyses to Empirico colleagues
- Perform analyses to address platform/application QC
- This position requires a BS or MS in bioinformatics or a related discipline (eg computer science, mathematics) with 0-3 years of experience.
- Proficient in at least one programming language (preferably Python, or Scala)
- Familiarity with Linux command-line based tools and bash scripting
- Experience using HPC/cloud computing environments (AWS, Azure, GCP) is a plus
- Hands on experience processing, analyzing, and visualizing datasets
- Familiarity with use of version control systems such as Git
- A firm understanding of applied statistical methods; knowledge of the principles of statistical genetics is a plus
- Demonstrated ability for writing readable, testable, and SOLID code
- An ideal candidate is self-motivated, and can learn and work independently
- Applicants must have authorization to work in the U.S.
Empirico is a venture-backed, next-generation therapeutics company founded on utilizing huge biological datasets, human genetics and programmable biology to power novel target discovery and development. Empirico’s Precision Insights Platform was purpose-built for therapeutic discovery and leverages a world-leading dataset and advanced algorithmic approaches to identify and prioritize therapeutic targets with a high probability of translational success. High priority therapeutic targets are experimentally validated in-house prior to progressing through pre-clinical development with the most optimal therapeutic modality. Empirico is headquartered in San Diego, CA with laboratories in Madison, WI.
To all agencies: Please do not contact any employee of Empirico about this position. All resumes submitted by agencies to any employee of Empirico via-email or in any form and by any method will be deemed the sole property of Empirico, unless such agencies were engaged by Empirico for this position and a valid agreement is in place.
Empirico is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.