Position Title: Data Engineer
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Description: Empirico, an early-stage biotechnology company, is looking for a talented data engineer that is motivated by the opportunity to develop cutting edge data architectures that allow our scientists to discover new medicines. You will work closely with scientists and engineers that have a passion for building out novel systems and approaches toward the treatment and prevention of disease.
Your responsibilities will focus around the design, implementation, and deployment of modern data infrastructure, methods, pipelines, and applications. You will be expected to:
- Collaborate closely with an interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to design, develop, and deploy robust data pipelines that analyze huge biological datasets.
- Take on complex data-related problems using the largest genetic and phenotypic datasets available
- Identify and resolve performance bottlenecks and pain points throughout our data infrastructure
- Enhance and support our platform as it scales
- S, M.S, Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or equivalent industry experience
- Strong technical skillset that spans a broad range of technologies, programming languages, and paradigms
- Proficient with multiple programming languages (preferably Scala, Python, and/or Java)
- Experience processing, modeling, and analyzing large and heterogenous datasets
- Experience with distributed data processing technologies (Spark, Hadoop, etc.)
- Familiarity with cloud computing (AWS, Azure, or GCP)
- Experience and familiarity with genetic, clinical, and phenotypic data, including standard formats a plus
- Demonstrated ability for writing readable, testable, and SOLID code
Empirico is a venture-backed, next-generation therapeutics company founded on utilizing huge biological datasets, human genetics and programmable biology to power novel target discovery and development. Empirico’s Precision Insights Platform was purpose-built for therapeutic discovery and leverages a world-leading dataset and advanced algorithmic approaches to identify and prioritize therapeutic targets with a high probability of translational success. High priority therapeutic targets are experimentally validated in-house prior to progressing through pre-clinical development with the most optimal therapeutic modality. Empirico is headquartered in San Diego, CA with laboratories in Madison, WI.
To all agencies: Please do not contact any employee of Empirico about this position. All resumes submitted by agencies to any employee of Empirico via-email or in any form and by any method will be deemed the sole property of Empirico, unless such agencies were engaged by Empirico for this position and a valid agreement is in place.
Empirico is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Continue reading →