Scientist / Sr. Scientist – Translational Genetics
Location: San Diego, CA
Position Description: Empirico, an early-stage biotechnology company, is looking for a scientist-level computational geneticist experienced in analyzing and interpreting large scale human genetics data for the purpose of therapeutic target discovery. This is an excellent opportunity for a highly-motivated, creative scientist to be a vital member of a team of experts dedicated to identifying new disease targets and translating those insights into therapeutic programs.
Your responsibilities will include using human genetics data to identify new therapeutic targets in order to advance Empirico’s drug discovery and development pipeline. You will be expected to:
- Work with a multidisciplinary team consisting of human geneticists, biologists, bioinformaticians and software engineers to assist in the design, execution, and interpretation of in silico genetics studies
- Utilize existing knowledge and develop expertise in the biology and pathophysiology of identified targets and relevant diseases
- Translate findings from genetic studies into therapeutic hypotheses and contribute to decisions around therapeutic modality and targeting strategies
- Collaborate with biologists and chemists on the design of in vitro and in vivo experiments to validate therapeutic hypotheses that are motivated by human genetics findings
- Survey the latest developments in the broader genetics community and incorporate relevant approaches for internal studies
- Provide novel ideas and critical thinking for the continued development and improvement of Empirico’s target discovery platform
- Communicate and report genetic findings and analyses with colleagues, collaborators, investors and through peer-reviewed publication
- This position requires an MD or PhD with 0-3 years of postgraduate experience in human genetics research with a translational focus. Recent graduates and postdocs encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated ability to design and interpret human genetics studies and to discern therapeutic hypotheses
- A firm understanding of the principles of statistical genetics and genetic epidemiology
- Familiarity with the design of functional studies to understand the mechanistic basis for genetic associations
- Applicants must have authorization to work in the U.S.
Empirico is a venture-backed, next-generation therapeutics company founded on utilizing huge biological datasets, human genetics and programmable biology to power novel target discovery and development. Empirico’s Precision Insights Platform was purpose-built for therapeutic discovery and leverages a world-leading dataset and advanced algorithmic approaches to identify and prioritize therapeutic targets with a high probability of translational success. High priority therapeutic targets are experimentally validated in-house prior to progressing through pre-clinical development with the most optimal therapeutic modality. Empirico is headquartered in San Diego, CA with laboratories in Madison, WI.
To all agencies: Please do not contact any employee of Empirico about this position. All resumes submitted by agencies to any employee of Empirico via-email or in any form and by any method will be deemed the sole property of Empirico, unless such agencies were engaged by Empirico for this position and a valid agreement is in place.
Empirico is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.